Tuesday, November 1, 2011

saving big coin

In an effort to save money my boyfriend Patrick and I have stopped eating out for every meal. It is amazing how much money can be saved by preparing your own meals! Patrick is a really good cook and will usually tackle the main dish while I do the side dish(es). While cooking our own meals has been a success there are still a few flaws we have, such as portion control. Usually we end up eating the same thing for at least two days straight. I think we need to make better use of the freezer. Another problem is the size of the kitchen. I am working with a 6'2" Patrick in a kitchen that has no counter space, cupboards that I need a stool to get anything out of, a mini stove, and approximately a 3x5ft section of space to stand. Lucky for me Patrick's 3yr old daughter Riley has a small stool I borrow to get access to the cupboards. We went on vacation to Cabo in early October and it was so nice to cook together! The kitchen was big enough for us to both have space to cook.

Here is a lamb stir fry Patrick created:
He marinaded lamb in:

  • honey 
  • lemon juice 
  • soy sauce
  • red wine vinegar
  • ginger root
  • red pepper
He found a snow pea, carrot, broccoli, and cabbage combo for $5 at Whole Foods and cooked it with the lamb. Served with rice, it was fantastic!

2 comments:

Amy S said...

i really love the title of this blog post.

Anonymous said...

haha i am trying to use joodlisms for all my titles. I can't wait to use "Six of one, half dozen of the other."