Monday, January 9, 2012

Ham and Potato Soup

I got Mural of Flavor out of a Penzeys Spices gift box. It smelled wonderful and I really wanted to use it in a soup, so I made Ham and Potato Soup. 

  • Two 1/2 inch slices of deli ham,  diced. 
  • potatoes diced (~5)
  • carrots cut up (~4)
  • onion cut up (~1/4 of a large onion)
  • chicken broth 
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic
  • mural of flavor
  • milk
  • sour cream
          Take 1/3 of the diced potatoes and put them into an old onion bag and tie off.*** Put the onion bag of potatoes and everything else into a crock pot and let cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove the bag of potatoes, puree them and mix into soup with milk and sour cream.

 ***I like to have a cream base, but still have potatoes chunks in the soup which is why I puree only 1/3 of the potatoes. For a thicker soup, puree more potatoes.


         The onion bag has become my best friend while cooking soup! My mom gave me that idea for cooking chicken soup. Put all the chicken in an onion (mesh) bag so it can be easily removed when the chicken is ready to be pulled off the bone. No bones in the soup and no hassle of straining the soup! It was super easy to just pull the potatoes out of the soup rather than fish them out with a ladle. 

No comments: